Shawnee State University's roots date back to 1945 when Ohio University established an academic center at Portsmouth High School.
After 16 years, The OU Academic Center moved to Griffin Hall on Second Street.
Two major campaigns through the Ohio University Development Fund raised $350,000 to purchase land for what would become the Shawnee State campus. Massie Hall was completed on that land shortly after.
The Scioto Technical College opened eight miles north of Portsmouth.
Frank Taylor, president of Scioto Technical College, and Dr. Robert Flinchbaugh, director of Ohio University-Portsmouth, began discussions about merging.
The Ohio Board of Regents voted unanimously in support of a State General and Technical College, created from the merger of Ohio University-Portsmouth and Scioto Technical College.
Shawnee State General and Technical College was chartered by the Ohio Board of Regents.
Shawnee State General and Technical College began operation with Dr. Robert Flinchbaugh as president. Classes were held on both the north and south campuses.
Groundbreaking was held for campus expansion.
Shawnee State General and Technical College was changed to Shawnee State Community College via an Ohio Senate bill.Shawnee History